One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Monday, April 2, 2012

From Junk to Junque

Green does not describe me.  I am not a jealous person, I am probably the worst recycler on the planet, and my thumb is pasty white, causing only weeds to grow in the gardens and flower beds I touch.

Despite that, I absolutely love rescuing items that are destined for the garbage truck and making something funky and fun out of them.  Here's proof from my old blog that this isn't my first recycling rodeo:  http://studiovalerie.blogspot.com/2011/05/bubble-full-of-blooms.html

It's fun to take something weird, something that anyone else would think you were crazy for saving, and turning it into something useful, fun or pretty.  This is the story of our latest rescue.

So yesterday my husband walked into my office with this odd piece:


"What is that?" you're probably thinking.

It's the vent cover from an old upright freezer that had to be trashed several months back.  The first question, of course, is "how did we not see this when we hauled out the freezer?"  That question would be answered immediately if you've ever seen our basement.  It is wall-to-wall junk and boxes, collected over nearly twenty years of living in the same house.

This piece intrigued my husband, and he just knew that it could be turned into something fun.  His suggestion:  Use that fancy vinyl cutter and make a "cold drink" sign out of it.

So that's what I did.  First, I found this really cool (ha!) font and cut navy blue letters with a layer of white "snow" and created "ICE COLD DRINKS" in a size that would fit the piece.


Next, they were transfer-taped and applied, creating this one-of-a-kind sign that will some day grace the man cave that we hope to eventually carve out of the basement once the kids extract all their stuff.  We have two old Pepsi machines and one old Coke machine, so this should look great hanging on the wall above them...someday.


So there you have it!  My fun little Sunday afternoon project.  One less piece of junk in a landfill, one more piece of junque in my basement.  It's a treasure trove of pickin' paradise that Frank and Mike would love to crawl around in, that's for sure. Sorry boys, you're not invited.  We're going to enjoy all of this stuff ourselves, eventually.

Here's where we're linking up on this beautiful Good Friday:


9 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Looks fab.
    I had already followe3d you over!
    Ugh...I notice you have word verification on...there is a movement in the blogging world to not visit sites that have that on. Most of the blogs I follow and hop through instruct people not to leave comments if it is on. There are even blinkies you can download and add to your sidebar that advertise "no word verification". I think the movement started with the change to the really squiggled words that are hard to read.

    I know you are trying to get your followers to move over with you and looking to expand your business...
    I will do it this time just to share this with you but not sure about next time....:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the feedback! I just went in and changed the settings to remove the word verification setting. I appreciate that you followed me over too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you created the most perfect letters and a really cute new sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, Sharon! I love doing projects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for featuring my design on your blog! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute project! I love your blog name too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kathy! My daughter and I get a lot of comments on the business name. It was my husband's idea, and I should probably thank him every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic. I would love to see it hanging above your soda machines, and hope you post a photo for us one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I forgot to say I LOVE the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...