One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rainy Days and Sundays

There is something cozy and warm about being inside on a rainy afternoon, especially on the weekend when we can take a little time to work on fun "rainy day" projects!

We've had our share of rain and storms over the last few days, and I have tried to put the hours to good use.  Yesterday I worked on this fun project with an old shutter from my corner stash.  My husband had suggested this a long time ago, but I just hadn't gotten around to doing it.

Originally, the plan was to leave off the kitchen part and make it an open and closed sign for our business, but since we decided that we didn't want to over-extend ourselves, we didn't move out on our own yet, so the sign wasn't needed.  It's going to stay on the back burner until the day comes that we are ready to take that step.

So here's how the sign turned out.  I asked for some input on the colors from my son, and I played around with various schemes until I came up with something I liked.  I did this with vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo, which I love, and I think it turned out pretty well.  Getting the letters to line up was a little tricky, but not too bad.





Besides this project, I'm also in the middle of another one involving glass blocks.  I've always wanted to try my hand at these but just never seemed to be able to catch them on sale.  Finally Hobby Lobby and my schedule cooperated so now I have a small stash to work on.  I'll get pictures of those later, after the lights I ordered arrive.

Finally, a few weeks back, my husband and I went "pickin'" in an old barn and came home with a van load of architectural treasures. Among the stash are six of these beautiful textured glass windows.  They measure 12 by 24 inches, and each has the wonderful, naturally distressed handle.  I'm still trying to decide on some good phrases to vinyl on these, but hopefully I'll have at least one done by the end of the day. By the way, this one looks really good now that it's cleaned up.  You should have seen it barn-fresh!



Anyway, here's to everyone else who is using this afternoon to play around with some fun new projects.  I hope you have a wonderful time!

Valerie

P.S.  Here's what one of the windows looks like now that I've finished it:


And here's where we're linking up today:


I Heart Nap Time

2 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY LOVE your signs .. your blog rocks!
    I just love it..new follower.. Thanks for stopping by my blog as well..


    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! We really appreciate your kind words and your follow! We'll follow you back right away.

      Valerie

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...