One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

First Fruits

 As kids, my siblings and I were always forced to work in my parents' garden.  Trust me when I say that their idea of a garden was no little 10x10 plot with a few tomatoes, some corn and a few bean plants.  Oh no.  This was (and still is) a HUGE plot with everything from green beans and peas to row after row of corn, zucchini, radishes, pumpkins and several types of lettuce.

At the time, weeding and later harvesting that produce, out in the heat and bugs and other skittering critters was definitely not how I wanted to spend even one minute of my day.  Looking back, I have to admit that I was horrible about it, whining and carrying on and usually a major slacker when it came to actual productivity.

I swore to myself that when I grew up, all of my veggies would come from the store like normal people.

Fast-forward many years, several homes and two grown kids later.   While I have to admit that I'm still not a gardener, I have made a couple of feeble attempts at home-grown.  Most of my labors were enjoyed by rabbits and squirrels, but every now and then, a sweet, succulent tomato actually made it to our kitchen and was thoroughly enjoyed. This, I mused, must have been why my parents did what they did.

We've been in our current home for nearly 19 years and up until this year, we've had this neglected side of the house that we've wanted to fix up.  Terracing has been discussed, stone steps to the back yard, and even a box garden idea was tossed around.

Leave it to my clever and amazing hubby to finally take the initiative to bring the box garden to life.  I have no idea what inspired him, other than the prices in the grocery store produce aisle, but in a matter of a few days, he "threw together" this wonderful little box garden, filled it with soil, put in plants and voila!  Veggies!

I love walking outside and seeing the vibrant reds and yellows of turning tomatoes, the greens of the peppers and the golden marigolds lining the edges, in hopes of keeping away some of God's hungry little creatures.

The other night, my hubby brought in this perfect little cherry tomato, and I just couldn't resist photographing it and sharing this, our first fruits of the season.  It's a beauty of a cutie and it makes my mouth water for more.

Maybe this time, the garden will inspire less grumbling and more appreciation.  Ah, the things life teaches us as we grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...