One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

On the Air

Yesterday was just another one of those typical, summer, work-at-home days. I get up, go through the morning routine, make a list of everything I want to accomplish for the day and get to work.

SIDE NOTE:  Do any of you other compulsive list-makers add a few extra, simple things to your list, just so you can cross them off quickly in order to feel like you've accomplished something?  No?  Hmmm, must be just me...

Anyway, I turned on my favorite local talk radio station (yes, I'm at that age) and sat down to peruse my Etsy stats, Facebook count, Twitter feed and Pinterest updates. (I'm a go-getter, can't you tell?)

Before long, it was time to head out to the kitchen to put our dog, Frisco, through his morning routine.  He's got hip dysplasia, diabetes and is post cataract surgery so we do three different eye drops, glucosamine pills and insulin shots every morning and night.  At this stage in life, I expected to possibly help one of my parents out with this kind of stuff, but I never expected to be nursemaid to my dog.

And God laughed.

Anyway, as soon as we finish up, get our his treats and head back to the office, my phone starts lighting up with text messages:  "Just heard Jamie talking about you and Poverty Barn on the radio!"  and "Hey, a friend just told me they heard about you on 97.1FM."

The first one was easy to brush off.  I figured someone was just confused.  But then they kept coming, on my phone, Facebook, etc.  What the heck?

So I posted that I couldn't believe I missed it, and after the commercial break, he start talking about me and the business again!  I'm cracking up, and grinning ear-to-ear because as anyone with a business knows, there is no such thing as bad free publicity!

How did we end up on the air?  Well, it turns out that the host, Jamie, and I have met a few times, and we're Facebook friends, and he had seen the picture of this sign I made:

He even quoted it on the show while describing our business!

Pretty cool stuff, to be sure.

Later on, I sent him a message to thank him for talking us up, and I also emailed the station for the podcast because it wasn't posted on their site.  They were so nice!  They actually sent me a clip file of the segments that were just focused on Poverty Barn, and gave me permission to use them!

Unfortunately, I've frustrated myself beyond belief trying to get the file to work on this page and I've given up.  There is no way to put an audio file on Facebook either, so I guess y'all will just have to take my word for it that it was pretty cool!  :)

 So, what started out as quite the ordinary morning, turned out to be pretty fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...