One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer in St. Louis

July in St. Louis usually means heat and humidity.  It's a weather phenom that we call "air you can wear."  In fact, last year, we were breaking records all over the place with triple digit temps and a heat index that was off the charts.

Not so, this summer.

In fact, it's been incredibly pleasant.  So pleasant, in fact, that our lovely pool is feeling neglected because it's been too cool to swim, for the most part.

If every summer was like this, we couldn't afford to live here because everybody would be scrambling to relocate.  But we'd make a killing on the house.

Despite the deceptively fair weather, I haven't been able to resist making some purely summertime signs. I know that the temperatures will soar again, and we'll get a few weeks use out of the pool before it's all said in done.  With that in mind, here are a couple of new signs from the workshop this week.


This one was made using 12x12 inch pieces of 3/4" plywood.  My brother and sister-in-law are re-habbing their house and one of the projects has been a new basement ceiling.  In one section of the basement, they hung plywood with 12-inch squares cut out and inserted beautiful tiles into the openings. It looks fantastic finished, and they have passed the squares on to me. Score!

This is the first project using one of the squares.  I painted it using outdoor paints and the sealed it with a clear, matte finish.  The rope is hot glued on the edges and we'll be using the nail gun to make sure it is really secure.

I can't wait to hang it and the others I've been designing out by the pool!


And now onto another new pallet sign in a fresh color!

This piece was made for a friend of ours, Katie at Sweet Pea's who posted the lyrics to Scotty McCreary's "Water Tower Town" on her Facebook page one day last week. Katie is a Texan at heart, living in Las Vegas with her Air Force husband, and I know she gets a little homesick sometimes.  The lyrics inspired me to create this piece and when I talked to her about it, she immediately told me that if I'd make it, she'd order it.  The sign now hangs in her home and I'm so happy that she likes it!

And here are a couple more with a summer time theme:



There are more pieces in the works for this summer because we still have several weeks to go.  I'll be sure and share them here, so check back soon!

Today I am linking up to:






2 comments:

  1. LOVE the swim at your own risk sign!! I'm assuming it's on your Etsy site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronda, thank you! It's not in the shop yet. I have a couple of things to work out with it but I'm pretty sure it will be in there soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...