Back in the old and dreadful full-time work days, Saturdays usually meant laundry, cleaning, and general housework. Because I work at home now, that stuff usually gets done during the week and I get to use these awesome weekend days to create!
Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a major slacker and my house is usually a disaster every day of the week. We have to invite people over once or twice a year so it actually gets cleaned up. Seriously.
Anyway...today is a delightful spring day that could be spent outside working in the yard, but I just wasn't feeling it. Plus, I was inspired upon awakening to work on a project that has been simmering on the back burner for a while now. I had everything I needed to make it, but the execution had not yet jelled. That is, until today.
I had been wanting to make these bottle opener things for ages and had acquired the jars, hose clamps and the actual openers ages ago. Just a few things eluded me: How to actually "decorate" them, and how to attach the clamps to the wood.
This morning, the whole decorating thing came together. Recently, I had been playing around with cutting apart aluminum cans and embossing them. I hadn't figured out what to do with the embossed pieces, but I knew this new-found skill would come in handy eventually. Destiny, thy name is Saturday!
As for the dilemma of attaching the hose clamps to the wood, my hubby figured that out for me. In the process of making it work, I learned how to use yet another power tool: The drill press. I can now add this to my repertoire, which also includes the nail gun, oscillating sander and chop saw. I want patches for my apron, like the workers at Home Depot have.
With all of the dots in the process finally connected, it was time to get to work. I dug around in the scrap wood pile in the garage, found a few decent specimens and painted them with some interior paint from the "Oops" bin at Home Depot. While that dried, I created the arrows by cutting apart a couple of cans, tracing the design with a pencil, then cutting it out with tin snips, before running it through my embosser.
We used the drill press to make the holes in the hose clamps, and I attached those and the openers with screws. After rummaging around in my husband's very organized nail container, I found the really cool looking tacks/nails and used them to attach the arrows. After adding saw tooth hangers to the back, I proclaimed them finished and then showed them to the QA department, aka, my hubby.
For the photos, we raided the beer stash and staged everything on our front porch. I think these would make a wonderful gift for Father's Day, and once I figure out a good shipping method, they will be available in our Etsy shop.