One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Everything Old is New Again

Last Sunday after church, and lunch, we made our usual stop at Jo-Ann Fabric. I'm always running in to grab more paint, or something else to keep this little business going.

While I was deciding between colors of chalk paint, my hubby was looking at garden containers. He found this fabulous aluminum box that immediately reminded us of a milk cooler. In case you're not as old as us, at one time, one didn't have to run to the grocery or local dairy store for dairy products. They would be delivered right to your door and left in a nice little insulated metal cooler on your front porch if you weren't home.

Our local dairy was St. Charles Dairy Company and yes, I still remember getting deliveries. I also remember going to their store where they scooped up the best mint chip ice cream I've ever had.  The company went out of business more than twenty years ago, but we have a lot of items with their logo around our house, including one of the milk coolers.

We decided to buy the planter and stencil a St. Charles Dairy Company logo on it using vinyl. The only real challenge was getting a good logo to trace.  While I have many pieces of memorabilia here, very few are flat and scanner-friendly.  I first tried a metal stamp, which is an actual piece of typeset from an old newspaper. I couldn't get a sharp enough image, so I went in search of something else.

It came down to pulling a lighted sign down off the top of the cabinet, or trying to make a flat-sided milk bottle work. I opted to try the bottle first. In order to get a clean image, I put a piece of printer paper inside, laid it on my scanner and, voila! I decent enough image.

Next, I imported it into my Silhouette Design Studio software, where I did a trace, which came out amazingly well. The only thing I really had to fix were the words "Dairy Co." in the glyph or tail of the "y."

I cut the image out, did a reverse-weed and then applied to to the side of the box.  Since my hubby is way better with a spray paint can than I am, he did the next part. He applied several coats of bright red paint, then allowed it to dry thoroughly.  We removed the vinyl, and you can see the final results.

We really like the way it turned out. We have a mix of red geraniums, grass and vine that will be planted in it, hopefully tomorrow.  After that, it will have a spot of honor on our front porch.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...