One Company, Three Great Shops

Poverty Barn is the parent company of two other businesses: Roo's Remnants and 4 Left Turns. Between the three, we've got you covered when it comes to home decor, baby and kid items and anything related to racing. Visit the links on the left to find out more about what we have to offer.

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Becoming "Mommy the Great"

I really like making lists-to do lists, shopping lists, packing lists, goal lists, lists of lists to make…you get the picture. There is just something so freeing about crossing things off a physical list and completing an entire list. I used to be pretty good at making lists, setting timeframes in which to accomplish them, and getting them done.

March 18, 2012 was a typical Sunday. I had accomplished a lot over the weekend and was gearing up for the week ahead by making an ambitious but not totally unobtainable to-do list for Monday. It included the usual things like laundry and cleaning out my car and such. Yes, I was totally aware that I was due to have a baby the next day, but after hearing all the horror stories of first born babies being notorious for being insanely overdue, I was certain that I had at least twenty-something more days until we would meet our daughter... or a couple more days at the very least.

I was wrong and the next morning we set out for the hospital to meet our little girl. Olivia was born that afternoon and I could not have been more in love with her. She was tiny, precious, and perfect. She was, and is, absolutely beautiful.

I had NO idea how much being a mommy would change my life. I loved watching my little girl grow and learn about the world around her. As much as I loved being a new mommy, it was also a huge adjustment for me to learn that it was okay not to accomplish everything that I wanted to get done in a day. I had to accept that although I may have lists coming out my ears and nothing getting crossed off those lists, that was okay.

A couple months before Olivia turned 2, we found out that we were expecting another little one. At first, I wasn't sure how I could love another little one as much as I loved O but I’m convinced that a mama’s heart grows with each child that they have.  Joey was born last September and is now our rolley-polley little man. He’s got his daddy’s blue eyes and the sweetest smile.

With having two little ones, I have even less time on my hands to accomplish the things on my various lists. When I have a break from taking care of Joey for a couple of minutes, Olivia wants mommy time too. I can’t blame her. She’s done great transitioning from being an only child to having to share her mommy with baby brother and I love spending the one-on-one time with her.

I’ll have plenty of time to get back to those lists in a few years when they are at school all day. Maybe I’ll finally finish that one that I wrote out the day before Olivia came along. It’s still around here somewhere. As for right now, I’m enjoying some new lists that have come with being a mommy:

Some of my newfound mom skills: 
  • Doing (almost) anything one handed while holding a baby
  • Deciphering the different kinds and levels of cries
  • Interpreting toddler talk or mouth-full-of-food talk
  •  Performing the role/voice of several different stuffed animals and toys on a daily basis
  • Making up songs on the fly, usually about sleep and its benefits
  • (almost) Always having extra diapers hiding somewhere in the car for the instances when I forget to check the diaper bag before we run out the door
My nicknames as given by Olivia:
  • Mommy Milk
  • Princess Mommy
  • Rock Star Mommy
  • Super Mommy
  • Mommy the Great


I have to say, being a mommy is pretty great. I’m so blessed that I get to stay home and spend so much time with my littles. Some days are hard, some are messy (guess who covered themselves in blue paint today…my little smurf), and some days are just a game of survival but those long days are often interwoven with blips of sweet hugs, sibling giggles, and sincere smiles and I wouldn't trade those for anything.

Happy Mother’s Day to all you other mama’s out there. I hope your days are full of lots of little laughs and grins.


- Jess (or according to Olivia, “the best mommy in my whole wide world”)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...